While there are plenty of beautiful destinations to visit across the globe, many of the best holiday spots for families are those commonly overlooked by traditional travelers.
1. Denmark, especially Faroe Islands and Bornholm, are excellent recreational destinations. It is best to visit in summer, when the long days may be spent fishing, hiking and admiring architecture. Must-visit sites include Saint Olav Church, Magnus Cathedral and local castles.
2. While many vacationers consider the Bahamas a romantic retreat, it is quite family friendly. The resorts at Paradise Island make the trip fun for everybody, with plenty of places to dine, watch animals, lie out on the beach and slide at the water parks.
3. Virginia is a prime retreat for the history lovers in your family. Visitors can stop by Colonial Williamsburg, Busch Gardens, Bailey Log Cabin and Aberdeen Gardens for a taste of American history and fun.
4. Each year, visitors flock to the United Kingdom, hitting spots like Dublin and London but overlooking the rich culture of Scotland. No trip to Scotland is complete without traveling the country trails or experiencing the castles.
5. With visitors from all over the country traveling to Portland and Seattle for a Pacific Northwest fix, Salem is often left out in the cold. Salem actually has a lot to offer, including museums like Antique Powerland and A.C. Gilbert’s Discovery Village.
6. Travelers come to the bustling Canadian city of Vancouver to kayak, ski, shop, dine and even spend nights in eclectic clubs. You can stay at a popular Vancouver hotel to enjoy your visit to the city and all the attractions. No trip is complete without a visit to Stanley Park.
7. Puerto Rico is a charming destination not far from American travelers by plane. Clear water makes it a great stopping point for all beach goers, and May and June are pleasant times to visit for sunny weather.
8. Outdoor lovers will find that the mountains of Utah are wonderful skiing locations. Little Cottonwood Canyon is home to Snowbird resort, with 85 runs. Everybody in the family, from the earliest snow bunnies to the most advanced, will find something to do here.
9. Zurich, Switzerland offers more than just skiing in the Alps. Travelers will find tasty pastries and historic museums and churches, but it is also a haven for shoppers and younger crowds who want to hit up local nightclubs.
10. Australia is more than just a red desert; Sydney has as much to offer as any other big city. Guests will enjoy getting to know the Sydney opera house, the fish market, the Harbour Bridge and the warm beaches.
Author Bio: Melisa Cammack is a frequent traveler, mother of three, freelance writer, and wife. Melisa is currently writing on behalf of All Cases, who specialize in Custom Flight Cases for the adventurous travelers.